Underground Mine Design, Planning and Engineering
We have years of first-hand underground mine engineering and operating experience in most countries and across multiple commodities using all common mining methods. As a global SRK group, we have specialist underground mining expertise to provide solutions for the unique features of each project.
Based on this extensive experience, we utilise an innovative and rigorous mining method selection and planning methodology that maximises the economic benefit of the project. The methodology focuses on understanding the complete mining context or characteristics of the deposit. This understanding is fundamental to selecting the appropriate mining method and establishing a robust mine plan.
Brainstorming sessions with our clients at the project scoping stage foster innovation in bringing out project development alternatives for analysis and ranking. Preferred solutions are identified through detailed mine engineering and trade-off studies. 3D underground design, optimized production scheduling and mine cost modeling are used to assess project economics, beginning at an early stage in the planning process. All mine design and schedule opportunities are left open until an optimised plan is defined and accepted.
We recognise the constant need to match changing commodity prices and capital costs with appropriate responses from mining operations: reduction in operating and/or capital costs when prices fall, and increasing capacity when prices rise. We are focused on producing practical mine designs and achievable schedules that make the most effective use of mine capital, in both short and longer term time frames.
Whether optimising an existing operation or deciding how to extract a new deposit, SRK can help to ensure that appropriate solutions are understood and implemented.
- Engineering studies (from scoping to feasibility)
- Mining context definition and mining methods selection
- Economic cut-off grade
- Estimation of mineable tonnage and production rate assessment
- Development and production scheduling
- Geotechnical characterization and ground support system design
- Drill and blast design, fragmentation analysis
- Ventilation system modeling and design
- Backfill method analysis and system design
- Equipment and manpower requirements
- Operating cost benchmarking and cost modeling
- Open pit to underground transition analysis
- Draw control for caving operations
- Risk analysis and management
- Operational review and assistance
- Life-of-Mine plan optimisation