Mine Closure and Reclamation
Protecting the environment and transitioning properties to new land uses
The combination of our internationally recognised experience in all aspects of mining with our knowledge of local requirements makes us the partner of choice for many clients embarking on mine closure projects.
We recognised the increasing importance of mine closure to the industry in the early 1990s. We made it a central focus and have since worked closely with industry and governments to develop the current state-of-the-art practices that meet today’s necessary requirements and standards.
Mine closure planning is necessary at all stages of a mining operation. Current best practice dictates that all mines should be ‘designed for closure’. Closure plans and related financial securities are also required for permitting in many jurisdictions. Recent changes to standards for accounting of “asset retirement obligations” have created an additional need for mine closure planning and cost estimation. We routinely develop appropriate mine closure plans to meet project specific needs.
Implementation of closure plans begins with the engineering studies, testing and monitoring that translate plans into construction drawings and specifications. Implementation then continues through procurement and construction. Our knowledge here ranges from assistance with tendering and construction QA/QC, to delivery of complete design-build packages.
The importance of mine closure to our business has led to a high awareness of closure requirements by all of our technical specialists. Reclamation and closure planning is routinely incorporated into feasibility studies, operating plans, due diligence assessments and many other areas of our work.
- Assessment of closure requirements
- Management of closure planning
- Assistance with public consultation
- Development of closure concepts
- Waste characterisation and geochemical assessment
- Geotechnical characterisation
- Hydrologic and hydrogeologic assessments
- Seismic assessments
- Water quality predictions
- Environment assessment
- Earthworks stability assessments
- Earthworks design
- Soil cover design
- Reclamation design
- Landform engineering
- Water treatment system design
- Water diversion design
- Construction QA and QC
- Construction contract management
- Construction environmental management
- Design-build packages
- Preliminary and detailed cost estimates
- Development of cost estimation models