Many ore deposits are formed within tectonically active areas, such as ancient basins and orogenic belts. It is no wonder then that the vast majority of mineral deposits are affected or controlled, to a greater or lesser extent, by geological structures.
From the perspective of mineral exploration and mining, the potential influence of both large- and small-scale structures on projects cannot be understated with structures impacting most technical issues, including: grade control, resource estimation, targeting, rock mass engineering and hydrogeology.
Regardless of the structural issue, SRK’s initial approach is unwavering: understand the problem, understand the economic implications, and focus on the fundamental issues.
Depending upon the nature of the commission, the study may combine: a brief review of salient data and reports, definition of key issues, focussed data collection (outcrop and drillcore), 3D geometrical and kinematic analysis using state-of-the-art software and the integration of findings, resulting in a robust structural model.
SRK’s structural geologists have broad experience of technical issues where the understanding of structural geology is paramount during the various stages of exploration and production.
Using their experience coupled with their understanding of geological processes, SRK’s structural experts have recently assisted in the identification of ore deposit controls for near-mine and regional exploration targeting, the characterisation and analysis of fractures to help mitigate mine stability and water in-flow problems in underground environments, 3D modelling of structurally complex deposits to assist with resource wireframing and the definition of structural geometries in geotechnical studies of large open pit operations.
How Structural Geology is Applied from Exploration to Closure
- Determination of structural controls on mineralisation for use in near-mine and regional exploration programs
- 3D geometrical modelling of complex ore bodies for mineral estimation
- Integration and interpretation of geological, geochemical and geophysical data
- Characterisation of fracture systems for geotechnical and hydrogeological studies
- On-site training in structural geology, tailored to the client's project site
- Practical advice on the acquisition of pertinent structural data
Other Related Services
- 3D Geological Modelling
- Remote Sensing and Geophysics
- Resource Modelling and Estimation
- Mineral Exploration Project Management
- Mineral Exploration Project Initiation
- Geological Mapping and Analysis of Drill Hole Data
- Mineral Exploration Targeting
- Basin Studies
- Exploration Sampling and Analysis
- Mineral Exploration QA-QC